Port marked as broken

Jonathan Horne jhorne at dfwlp.org
Tue Apr 24 18:27:10 UTC 2007

> On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 01:55:48PM -0400, Ian Lord wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> I just did a "cvsup" and a "pkg_version -v" to see that one of my port is
>> outdated.
>>

>> pecl-memcache-2.1.0                 <   needs updating (port has 2.1.2)
>>

>> When I tried to "portupgrade -a" I got a message saying "pecl-memcache-2.1.2
>> is marked as broken: Configure fails."
>>

>> I though something was broken on my system so I went to
>> /usr/ports/databases/pecl-memcache/ and did a "make deinstall" followed by a
>> "make clean" and a "make"
>>

>> I get the same error message saying:
>>
>> ===>  pecl-memcache-2.1.2 is marked as broken: Configure fails.
>>
>> *** Error code 1
>>

>> Stop in /usr/ports/databases/pecl-memcache.
>>

>> I did some research and found that tag "broken" is in the cvs so I guess the
>> developer set it that way.
>>

>> 2 questions:
>>

>> 1- How come a broken port is in the cvs ? Shouldn't the developer do a
>> rollback or something if something fails ?
>
> They should *fix* it, but they've not done so yet.  Email the
> maintainer to ask about their plans for fixing it.
>
>> 2- Is there a way to reinstall an older version hoping to get the
>> functionality back (since I deinstalled :-()
>
> You can use CVS or (maybe) the portdowngrade port.
>
> Kris

you can get a past snapshot of the pots tree by using cvsup.  on the supfile line:

*default release=cvs tag=.

append a date in this format:

*default release=cvs tag=. date=2006.01.01.01.01

(year.month.day.hour.minute.second)

check the http://cvsweb.freebsd.org/ports, and find the port.  check the make
file for the date the broken change was uploaded, and go with a day before that.
 add the date you want to your supfile, and pull down an older version of the
ports tree.  note that it will overwrite your current ports, and youll want to
update them back to current again before doing anymore portupgrading.

hth,
jonathan horne
freebsd at dfwlp.com
http://dfwlpiki.dfwlp.org