MS, Adobe competition heats up, Will Adobe wake and port Flash to BSD?

Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri almarrie at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 05:35:44 UTC 2007

On 4/20/07, illoai at gmail.com <illoai at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 19/04/07, Beech Rintoul <beech at alaskaparadise.com> wrote:

> > > I'm sorry but rich media is a fact in the web, and you can't ignore
> > > it.
> > >
> > > Flash is used with Yahoo! maps, and so with alot of useful apps
> > > like stocks prices ..etc.
> > >
> > > Instead of ignoring it, we should see it ported to FreeBSD.
> >
> > I agree. As much as I personally dislike flash, I have business
> > clients who would be willing to switch from Micro$oft to FreeBSD. The
> > main stumbling block is the lack of stable flash support.
> >
> > Where I have deployed test versions of FreeBSD with either OO or KDE
> > with Firefox, they were generally happy except for flash. This is one
> > of the things we need to overcome if we're ever going to be seriously
> > considered as a desktop os. Most clients expect the browser to at
> > least work as well as Micro$oft, however misguided that is.
>
> Being taken seriously is over-rated.
> Being taken seriously as a desktop OS would
> be an excellent joke was the reality of it not so
> horrifying.
> Televisions are much better at providing the sort
> of cacaphonic nonsense that flash users have
> come to expect.
> I am pleased clicking a link and coming across the
> dreadful, "Must have MorkothMedia Flush Player
> 45.6 or newer installed to use this site".  Honestly,
> I was expecting something jumbly but likely full of
> information.  The "download plugin" box tells me
> that I have just saved the time of listening to some
> irritating music while it dawns on me that I have hit
> a dead end.
> The primary use of flash, as I have seen it in such
> places as you-tube and yahoo, is as a content slash
> copyright management* frontend.  That they, the
> shadowy and sinister "They" in this case being
> that loveable and fuzzy company named after dried
> mud, even tried porting flash to linux was probably
> widely regarded as a mistake, at least internally.
> Porting it to even smaller-market operating systems,
> as far as the desktop is concerned, sounds like a
> losing proposition to me.  Especially ones with users

Quote:
"What should the BSDs do? As I've said several times in the last five
years, that depends on what the projects want. But if we want to be
seen as a viable alternative for use by non-developers, my big issue
is that we need to understand the end user perspective. We can't just
say of any feature "If there's nobody there to support it, axe it." As
long as there are people who want that feature, we need to support it.
If we don't, BSD is gradually going to be usable only by software
developers."

Greg Lehey, 2004
http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200402/dadvocate.html

Quote:
"FreeBSD developer Scott Long told ZDNet UK on Thursday that the
operating system, descended from the Unix derivative BSD, is "quickly
approaching" feature parity with Linux.

"Lots of work is going on to make FreeBSD more friendly on the
desktop," Long said. "Within the year, we expect to have, or be near,
parity with Linux."

--
Regards,

-Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri