NFS without rpcbind?

Dan Casey dcasey at debtresolve.com
Mon Apr 23 22:37:44 UTC 2007

It was my understanding that NFS worked off of RPC.  I accidently
stumbled upon some redhat docs that said you use TCP based NFS which
will not require rpc?  I think this is an NFSv4 feature, but I'm not
sure.  I would like to achieve this using FreeBSD 6.2.  My goal that I'm
trying to accomplish is to get nfs to work in an environment where all
traffic is denied by default.  Using rpcbind doesn't work well with that
type of setup.

I tried the following
nfs_reserved_port_only="YES"
nfs_server_enable="YES"
nfs_server_flags="-t -n 4 -h 10.a.b.c"

This spawned rpcbind which I didn't want.   Does anyone know how to do a
tcp only nfs implimentation?

-dc