UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

L Goodwin xrayv19 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 23 22:28:02 UTC 2007

Yes, it's a hardware switch and a very bad design. It's flush with the surface of the faceplate and is right next to the CD-ROM button. Also sensitive to the lightest touch. Replacement would require buying a new case (not in budget).

Think I'll make a clear plexi "failsafe" cover. Reminds me of the times my toddler son found the big red toggle switch on the side of my IBM RT-PC workstation within seconds of sitting in my chair...

RW <fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com> wrote: On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 13:23:16 -0700 (PDT)
L Goodwin  wrote:

> Last night, I was starting to install Samba3, but wrong FreeBSD disc
> (2) in the CD-ROM drive (first package to install on disc 1). After
> placing the right disc in the drive, I accidentally pushed the POWER
> button instead of the CD-ROM door open/close button and turned the
> computer off. In my defense, the power button is right next to it AND
> has a hair trigger. :-(

This shouldn't be a problem unless your pc is very old (8 years or so),
and it's a real power switch. On modern PCs the power switch is just a
low-voltage control line. A light touch is a signal to the OS to
shutdown cleanly - you have to hold the button down for several seconds
to force it.