UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

L Goodwin xrayv19 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 23 20:23:17 UTC 2007

Last night, I was starting to install Samba3, but wrong FreeBSD disc (2) in the CD-ROM drive (first package to install on disc 1). After placing the right disc in the drive, I accidentally pushed the POWER button instead of the CD-ROM door open/close button and turned the computer off. In my defense, the power button is right next to it AND has a hair trigger. :-(

I turned the computer back on, and FreeBSD booted with no complaints,
so I assumed all was well. I then proceeded to install Samba3 successfully,
after which I shut down the system ("halt").

This morning when I booted FreeBSD to configure Samba, I got:
/dev/da0s1f: UNALLOCATED  I=5  OWNER=root MODE=0
/dev/da0s1f: SIZE=0 MTIME=Apr 22 17:28 2007
/dev/da0s1f: NAME=/lost+found

UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
THE FOLLOWING FILE SYSTEM HAD AN UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY:
    ufs: /dev/da0s1f (/usr)
Automatic file system check failed; help!
/bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally, going to single user mode
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:

I assume I'll have to run fsck on /usr, but have 2 questions:
1) Is this problem caused by yesterday's accidental power-off?
2) What prompts should I expect from fsck, and how should I reply to each in order to resolve this problem correctly?

Here's where I'm at now:
fsck -y /usr
Start /usr wait fsck_ufs /dev/da0s1f
** /dev/da0s1f