Unable to delete files/directories - bogus user/group ID's

Don O'Neil don at buylv.com
Mon Apr 23 06:56:43 UTC 2007

I had a crash on a disk array last week that was severe enough that fsck
wouldn't fix it, even in single user mode. So, I was forced to suck off the
good data, and restore the bad stuff from backups.

However there are 2 directories that contain files/directories which have
bogus user & group ID's that the system just won't let me do anything to. I
can delete them, cant rename them, cant move them, cant chmod/chown, cant
cat to them, nothing... I just get "Operation not permitted".

Here's a sample of one of them:

---xr----x  1 2761022747  1016642816  0 Apr 19 15:35 Video
d--s---rw-  2 3251161791  726015594  512 Apr 19 15:41 .shrc

Anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of these files?

I've done an fsck from single user mode and that doesn't come up with
anything. Short of copying all the data over to a new volume sans these
files and then reformatting the old volume and then moving the good files
back what can I do?

Any assistance would be appreciated. I'd also like to thank everyone who
browses this group and regularly posts responses... Without you guys some of
us would never get the help and knowledge we need! Thanks in advance!