random hangs/reboots with Dell servers

Dimitris Zilaskos dzila at tassadar.physics.auth.gr
Sat Apr 21 11:54:49 UTC 2007

 	Thnx to everyone for your replies,

A colleague has provided me with his hand notes of an older crash screen,
it has the following(however i cant guarantee it is accurate, it is
handnotes).

cpuid=0; apicid=00
fault virtual address=0xac
fault code=supervisor write,page not present
instruction pointer=0x20:0x
current process 79962
trap numbers : 12
panic: pagefault
cpuid=1
uptime=6d7423m55

 	I do not believe the problems are related to envriroment or
electricity, since during the period the problems occured we have switched  data center,
and in addition to dell systems there are 150 more nodes from various
vendors (HP mostly, but also IBM, supermicro, SUN, and various assembled
towers), and none has shown similar behaviour. We dont run FreeBSD on them
though. We have a Dell 2850 with Windows 2003 that has been running rock
solid for at least 1 year. And the 1750 that under FreeBSD 5 would
sometimes crash even under no load, with RHEL 4 pushes 60 Mbps of ftp data
24/7 with ease for the last year without any problems.

 	Disabling everything from BIOS was one of our first moves, though
we havent disabled usb since sometimes we need to connect a keyboard. And
no IPMI is running on a public interface:)

 	Apart from all the nodes being SMP and Dell, I cannot think of
anything else in common. Some are SCSI, some are SATA. All have a number
of jails. Memory size is 2 GB (the 1750), the others have 4 GB.

 	I have also asked Dell for some help, though they told me freebsd
is not certified by Dell, they will try to look into it.

Dimitris Zilaskos

Department of Physics @ Aristotle University of Thessaloniki , Greece
PGP key : http://tassadar.physics.auth.gr/~dzila/pgp_public_key.asc
 	  http://egnatia.ee.auth.gr/~dzila/pgp_public_key.asc
MD5sum  : de2bd8f73d545f0e4caf3096894ad83f  pgp_public_key.asc