MS Windows emulator or VM with USB support

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Sat Apr 21 07:45:19 UTC 2007

Adam J Richardson wrote:
> youshi10 at u.washington.edu wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 Apr 2007, Milan Knizek wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> is there an emulator or virtual machine, which would run MS Windows
>>> on FreeBSD
>>> as a host system and support USB devices? (I do not mean USB Mass
>>> Storage,
>>> but e.g. Garmin GPS device with Garmin's MapSource.)
>>>
>>> Preferrably some free software.
>>>
>>> AFAIK wine cannot support usb devices, VMware Server 1.x does runs
>>> only on
>>> linux.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Milan
>>>
>>> --
>>> Milan Knížek
>>> http://milan-knizek.net/
>>> e-mail knizek {na} volny {v} cz
>>
>> Based on my experience VMware is the most complete VM that can deliver
>> this. However, there are people working on porting Xen to FreeBSD
>> (CURRENT I believe, not STABLE).
>>
>> So stay tuned for Xen if you're interested..
>>
>> -Garrett
>>

> Does Qemu do what you want? I'm installing Windows 2000 Professional
> inside Qemu for some experiments. I don't know if it fulfils your USB
> requirement, but it's free and I hear it runs on FreeBSD pretty well.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Adam J Richardson

	I've had a few rounds with Qemu on FreeBSD, Linux, Mac, and Windows,
and each time when I try and get stuff setup, it breaks unfortunately
(all of the above except Mac) or is too slow to be usable (Mac, because
of my iBook's processor speed >_>).

	Xen isn't half bad though because it's cross architecture, similar to
Qemu, but with more native emulating speeds. Unfortunately VMWare is
only available for x86 CPUs and friends though, and although someone
offered a bounty for proper Linux emulation of it on FreeBSD, it's
probably going to be a while before it's available (at least until the
linuxalator (sp?) gets fixed a bit more..).

Those are my 2 cents :).
-Garrett