Help : How to add new architecture support in FreeBSD?

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Fri Apr 20 20:53:05 UTC 2007

On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 01:38:14PM -0700, Patil, Kiran wrote:
> Resending with "Help" keyword in subject.
>

> I just joined this mailing list, SO please forgive me if I violate any
> rule and please correct me if you can.
>

> Question :
>

> I have been tasked to add support for new architecture  ( e.g.of
> architectures are - alpha, amd64, i386, etc likewise we are going to
> have new architecture ) in FreeBSD. Are there any known
> documents/BKMs/collateral regarding this.
>

> Any pointer/info will be helpful.
>

> I believe, I am looking for collateral which explains or outlines
> changes required in different config files/makefiles/etc.. to add
> support for new architecture.
>

> Thanks in advance.

I am not aware of anything, you will have to study the source code and
CVS history to learn how to do it.  You're going to need to develop a
detailed understanding of the FreeBSD architecture anyway.  If you
have specific questions about something, you can ask on one of the
appropriate technical mailing lists (e.g. hackers)

Kris