I like Ubuntu

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Thu Apr 19 18:06:05 UTC 2007

Henry Lenzi wrote:
> On 4/19/07, Chris <racerx at makeworld.com> wrote:
>> Henry Lenzi wrote:
>> > I find nothing brilliant in Debian's package management. It's heavily
>> > dependent upon human intervention and just adds a layer of complexity
>> > on top of a problem that was *already solved* in the Unix world, by
>> > using Make files. Do they have a better backtracking algorithm then
>> > Make? No.
>>
>> I don't understand this at all.
>
> It's quite obvious you don't.
>
>> Assuming that Ubuntu's package
>> management is nearly the same as Debian's (by means of apt-get etc.)
>> then how do you figure it's heavily dependent on human intervention?
>>

> Have you ever seen the process whereby Debian (and I keep saying
> Debian because Ubuntu just piggybacks on the Debian developers)
> releases packages?
>
> Their package management system is supposed to be about handling
> dependencies automatically. Well, I'm not sure you've quite noticed
> this, that FreeBSD (and the other BSDs) *also* handle dependencies
> automatically. How? Because of the Magic Makefiles and its
> backtracking algorithm! Well, funny, huh. No need to reinvent the
> wheel, as 3 BSD Unixes demonstrate daily.
>

>> > Debian's package management is the number one cause that distro just
>> > got slower and slower in their release cycle.
>>

>> Interesting - so, the semi annual (of course this means 2 times a year)
>> release of say Ubuntu isn't in line with say, OpenBSD or even FreeBSD
>> (when they manage to push our 2 releases in a year).
>
> I said Debian and you said Ubuntu. My point was that the packaging
> system they have impinges an extra work load on their "developers"
> (there aren't really developers in Debian, only packagers. Only one or
> two develop system-level software, unlike in the BSDs).
> Fine. Ubuntu release sin a 6 months cycle. That is the reason they
> created Ubuntu, because Debian couldn't handle it. Notice that Ubuntu
> has full time developers on their payroll, *and* they piggyback on
> Debian. My point being that part of the blame lies in the technology
> which, in fact, is an opinion seldom heard. A funny thing that the guy
> who actually invented dpkg doesn't really use it anymore...
> Here's what you do: plot a graphic of the growth of number of packages
> in Debian, and then observe how that relates to their release cycle.
> You'll notice that the more packages they have, the more they stall.
>

>> Base on what you have stated - you either used a very old version of
>> Debian or a very old version of Ubuntu. Then again, there is always the
>> notion that you may not have used any of the above and are just talking
>> out your keister ;)
>>
>> > Henry Lenzi
>
> Yes I have, I used Debian for over 5 years. I much prefer FreeBSD
> nowadays. Anyways, I'll not have an argument with you. I care nothing
> about Ubuntu or Debian or your opinons on whether I've used Debian or
> not. That is what I think. I'll just leave it at that. You think
> [...]

As I mentioned before - the Op's question was/is about Ubuntu. I simply
clarified the fact that you were muddying the waters by stating Debian.
And perhaps its true - Ubu is nothing more then a better Debian - but i
must reiterate the fact - the thread was about Ubu.

By muddying the waters of the thread - you are lending information that
isn't pertainant to the Op or anyone else for that matter.

I will admit one thing, from the wording of your thread, it appears as I
mis interrupted what you meant. While I read it from an end user point
of view - you clearly meant it from a programmers (or package
maintaners) point of view.

Perhaps had you made that clearer (not only for me, but others) this
part of the thread would not have gotten this far.

--
Best regards,
Chris

Be sure each item is properly endorsed.