Attempts to run 'fsck' fail can't stat device

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Wed Apr 18 21:42:51 UTC 2007

On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 01:05:45PM -0700, Noah Garrett Wallach wrote:

> My server lost power earlier today and now it doesnt boot.
>
> Any clues what I can do to recover from the following errors:
>

> ----s nip ----
>
> Server '<hostname>' fails to mount /dev/da0s1g (/usr).
>
> Attempts to run 'fsck' fail (can't stat device /dev/da0s1g)
>

> ---- snip ---

Well, that was not an actual cut and paste of the errors (usually it's
important not to paraphrase them, you might be misrepresenting what it
is telling you).  If it can't find the device, you need to work out
where it went.  Did the kernel find da0 at boot?  If not, maybe the
disk failed to spin up after the power failure (try rebooting again),
or maybe it was damaged by a power surge.

Kris