"who" is showing impossible data

Joel V. joel at starman.ee
Wed Apr 18 06:39:22 UTC 2007

Hello people!

I have a strange problem. So, I log into my freebsd server at my office in
the morning and as always, first thing I do is "who". And then I almost have
a heart attack because I see two lines:

ohyeah           ttyp0    Apr 18 08:41 (82.131.87.246)
ohyeah           ttyp1    Sep  7 08:58 (82.131.87.246:S.)

Here's finger:

ohyeah           Oh Yeah              p0         Wed    08:41
ohyeah           Oh Yeah              p1   8:15  Sep  7 2006

Oh that's nice. I always log out properly before I go to bed and this one
process is from september 2006?! I'm sure it wasn't there yesterday. Now the
strange part is that freebsd shows the same IP for that process as I'm using
now, and I've had that IP from my ISP for like a month. auth.log is clean,
too. My FreeBSD 4.8 server has been running for 222 days now, could it just
be too tired and in need of a restart? Has anyone seen anything like this
before?

Please note that I'm not in the list, so if you want to send me a reply,
please send also a copy directly to me at joel at starman.ee

Thanks in advance!