Looking for GIF library in the ports collection

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Sun Apr 15 17:40:17 UTC 2007

Hi,

I've written a program that generates images.  Currently
it writes them in PPM format, and I would like to add
support for GIF.  So I've looked at the ports collection
for a GIF library and found -- nothing.  The only thing
that comes close is "libungif", but it doesn't create
real compressed GIF files ...

$ ./mytool -f ppm | ppmtogif > test1.gif
$ ./mytool -f gif > test2.gif
$ ls -l test?.gif
-rw-r--r--  1 olli  olli    642 Apr 15 19:28 test1.gif
-rw-r--r--  1 olli  olli  14498 Apr 15 19:28 test2.gif

Any suggestions?  (I cannot use PNG because I need to
stay compatible with certain legacy applications that
don't support PNG.)

Best regards
   Oliver

"I learned Java 3 years before Python.  It was my language of
choice.  It took me two weekends with Python before I was more
productive with it than with Java." -- Anthony Roberts