I like Ubuntu

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Sun Apr 15 04:03:13 UTC 2007

On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 02:34:29PM -0500, Chris wrote:
> doug at safeport.com wrote:
> > On Sat, 14 Apr 2007, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

	[[ ... ]]

> > In my case this included leaning to think in 'Unix', and reaching an
> > understanding with (rather than of) regular expressions, sed, and awk.
> >
> > My workstation/laptop hardware does not really allow the option of
> > building things like KDE and OpenOffice, so I upgrade basically by
> > starting over with packages. I usually can do this in an hour or so.
> > When I first started, I found the differences between BSDI, FreeBSD, and
> > Linux confusing. Now mostly its more of an irritant than having to use
> > my son's mac to watch ESPN videos.

	I've been experimenting with system tuning to get my slower
	(400MHz) laptop and tower cases to run lots ffaster with X ...
	and, obv'ly, lots slower for less important processes.  As a
	hard-core CLI type, I'd like to see lightweight apps like links
	tied to a GUI version of mutt.  Or something similarly
	lightweight where you can click on a URL and have it instantiate
	links.  If you must-hae 3D, then Xaw-3D will do the magic.

> To me, this is where Ubuntu (I can't speak for other Linux distros) is
> the clear winner over FreeBSD on the desktop. Ubuntu is near
> out-of-the-box when it comes to media (audio/video/etc) of any sort.
>
> Sure, there are a few  steps to get it all to gel - but once you enter a
> few lines (or if you prefer point-n-click) - you never have to worry
> about media working again (trust me, I used to keep a Windows box just
> to do the things I mentioned).
>
> Again - I'm talking about a desktop use. I have used Ubuntu server (both
> i386 and sparc) and FreeBSD is still my fav. however, Ubuntu (for
> installing LAMP) is nearly even w/FreeBSD.
>
> To me, apt-get is certainly cleaner and superior to
> portupgrade/portmanager. Perhaps someday either or will be as reliable
> as apt-get.
>
> Just my opinions of course.

	Mine too, as far as ease-of-use goes.  Ubuntu is a different kind
	of Linux where they say up front that Linux is only a kernel;
	that the rest is up to the real hackers, the app folks.  My only
	concern with Ubuntu is upgrading from my current 6.06 to 7.XX.
	I can upgrade FBSD with one finger.  Upgrading Ubuntu isn't
	quite push-button.  Not yet anyway.

	The last thing:  I'll never trust my DNS server to anything
	except the Berkeley distributions.

	and that's my dime's worth!

	gary

  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix