[OT] can sed handle this situation? (might require variable)

Zhang Weiwu zhangweiwu at realss.com
Sun Apr 15 02:20:15 UTC 2007

Dear list. I could not find a mailing list about 'sed' (there is an very
inactive Yahoo Group though) so I wish to try some luck here. Sorry for
OT.

I've got a situation that looks like require using variable and not
possible to process with sed. But I am not sure. Can someone suggest me
if this task is out of scope of sed?

The input document is sections of data separated by an empty new line;
in each section there are a few lines. It's like this:

        dn: uid=ABB,ou=contacts,ou=china,dc=ahk,dc=de
        uid: ABB
        ahkCreateTimeStamp: 19960328000000Z
        creatorsName: cn=manager,dc=ahk,dc=de
        createTimestamp: 20060425094550Z

        dn: uid=paulblome,ou=contacts,ou=china,dc=ahk,dc=de
        uid: paulblome
        sn: Blome
        createTimestamp: 20060417071950Z
        modifiersName: cn=manager,dc=ahk,dc=de
        modifyTimestamp: 20060630094026Z

The above sample showed two sections in input data. It's required to
process the data in following rule:

        if a data section has "ahkCreateTimeStamp: abc", replace it with
        "createTimestamp: abc" and remove the original "createTimestamp:
        def" line;

That is, the result data of above sample should be:

--
Zhang Weiwu
Real Softservice