Samba and mountd spin

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Sat Apr 14 16:26:23 UTC 2007

I recently removed a lot (!!!) of packages from my 6.2-STABLE system
as I no longer wanted to use it for a desktop, but still wanted it to
be my home server.  When I rebooted it yesterday for nonrelated
reasons, it hung on the Samba startup.  Further testing shows that
whenever I try to run it's rc.d script, smbd and mountd fight for
100% of the CPU.

Honestly, I don't have any idea where to even start looking for this
problem.  I'm currently running "portupgrade -Rf samba" just in case
I inadvertently removed some critical library, but is there anything
else I might look for?Î

Kirk Strauser