I like Ubuntu

doug at safeport.com doug at safeport.com
Sat Apr 14 00:25:29 UTC 2007

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

> "Claude Menski" <claude.menski at gmail.com> writes:
>> Why is freebsd better then ubuntu?
>
> I like Ubuntu too.  If you want a desktop OS that Just Works and
> doesn't require a lot of time to configure and keep up-to-date, it's a
> good choice.
>
> On the server side, however, I find that it is FreeBSD rather than
> Linux which Just Works and lets you do excatly what you want without
> any fuss.  I find that once you get into the little details, Linux is
> an appalling mess of disparate components thrown together with no
> apparent plan or purpose.  It gets even worse when you start looking
> into the kernel source...  No abstraction, no modularization, and very
> little consistency.
>
> DES
> --
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no

First my experience with [Free]BSD as a server completely mirrors Dag-Erling's
observation, it [mostly] just works. I started with BSDI switching to FreeBSD
around 3.5. I think it is also true that depending on your hardware a FreeBSD
workstation or laptop can be a bit of a challenge. For me, coming from
mainframe-land, I learned more about FreeBSD and Unix from having to solve these
problems and/or work around old hardware than I ever would have just
administering my server farm.