FTP timestamp problem with ftpchroot

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Fri Apr 13 14:43:41 UTC 2007

"Joshua Prunier" <winamprulz at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, I've searched the FreeBSD support pages and googled with no solution to
> the problem I am having. When we FTP into our machine the timestamps for all
> the files seen are 4 hours later than if you ssh into the machine and look
> at those same files. The time is correct. I verified it with the date
> command, BIOS is also correct. I also know this is somehow caused by chroot.
> I have an /etc/ftpchroot file enabled to keep ftp users in their own
> directories. If I remove this file then the 4 hour time difference goes away
> and your able to see the proper times when viewing via FTP.
>
> Note that this system does not have anonymous ftp enabled. I'm also having
> the problem with both FreeBSD i386 6.1 & 6.2. Is this a bug? Maybe I'm just
> missing a setting or configuration somewhere. If anyone has run across this
> before and knows how to fix the problem I would greatly appreciate it.
> Should I just give up on the FreeBSD ftpd and install a 3rd party FTP
> server?

I "strongly suspect" that your machine is set to a time zone four
hours earlier than Universal.  [like mine...]

If so, it would be a guess that the problem is the lack of visibility
of /etc/localtime within the chroot.  You could probably link such a
file into the chroot environment(s) and solve the problem that way.