Complete loss of network on 6_STABLE

Drew cotharyus at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 01:18:15 UTC 2007

I have a 6 stable box that I cvsup'd at around 5:15am central US time this
morning. I did a buildworld and buildkernel on it after checking the
UPDATING file and finding nothing since 6.2 release, ran mergemaster and
rebooted, so I was a little surprised when it never came back. Once I gained
physical access to the box, I discovered it had no apparent ability to open
a sock - neither unix, nor udp nor tcp. I can ping localhost, but not other
IP's on my network. X tells me host.domain.name:0 is a bad display name. So
I need to know how to get things back up and running. Is this a known
problem that has been fixed, or have I stumbled across something no one else
has seen? As a side note, I have to give major props to all the developers -
it sounds like my situation is really bad, but this is the first major
problem I've had in over 7 years of tracking -STABLE of one version or
another. Let me know if I can just cvsup another 6-stable box and burn it to
a disc and copy it off on here, or what I need to do to fix this, because
I'm lost. For the record:

mergemaster -p
make buildworld
make buildkernel KERNCONF=mykernel
make installworld
make installkernel KERNCONF=mykernel
mergemaster -a
reboot

came up with no sockets. At this point:

rm -rf /usr/obj
make clean
make buildworld ...etc - still no sockets.