looking for something like an embedded ftp server

Ghirai ghirai at ghirai.com
Thu Apr 12 23:43:45 UTC 2007

Hello David,

> On Wednesday 11 April 2007 12:26:42 pm Derrill Guilbert wrote:
>> I've been given an old machine, and asked to turn it into an ftp server. It
>> will got on its own IP, separate from the one our LAN uses. It will have
>> three read-only users and maybe five read/write users. It will contain
>> design data that we're transferring to the offices in China. That is, we
>> will upload it from here in at the main office, and the China staff will
>> download it to implement the little containers we're building.
>>
>> This does not need to be secure beyond password protection necessarily,
>> though some sort of secure FTP would be fine.
>>
>> What I would really prefer is some sort of BSD based simple FTP server
>> setup. I've found several BSD based router/firewall/whatever servers out
>> there, such as m0n0wall and pfsense, among others, and I would like
>> something that simple for an FTP server. That is, I want to be able to
>> install the server and then only have to configure users, no mess with
>> hardening things and setting up pf or so ...
>>
>> Does such a thing exist? Am I needlessly complicating things for myself in
>> another way (often the case, I'm little more than a user when it comes to
>> FreeBSD)?
>>
>> Any kind of guidance on this topic would be appreciated --- if what I want
>> to do can be done with a custom install of FreeBSD, that'd be wonderful
>> also.
>>
>> Thank you in advance for any guidance.

Try pure-ftpd in the ports collection.

It's nice that it supports virtual users (so you don't need to have
system users for each user who uses the ftp), bandw. throttling,
and lots of other nice things.
It's also reasonably small.

Apart from that, you only need ssh access to the box to configure
things when needed, and you're ready to go.

--
Best regards,
Ghirai.