Shell PATH not being reread

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Thu Apr 12 17:44:38 UTC 2007

Sean Murphy wrote:
> I have just installed FreeBSD 6.2 Release.  I su to root and run
>
> pkg_add -r cvsup-without-gui
>
> It installed fine
>
> I edited the ports-supfile
> cd /usr/share/examples/cvsup
> vi ports-supfile
>
> but when I go to run
>
> cvsup -g -L 2 ports-supfile
>
> It tells me it cannot find the command

FAQ, I think.  For csh/tcsh, issue "rehash":

# portinstall myfooport
# myfooport
myfooport:  Command not found
# rehash
# myfooport  --version
Welcome to myfooport v0.0.0!

If you are indeed having this problem with /bin/sh,
I'm not at all sure why, as I think it rereads the
executables in $PATH fairly continuously (but then,
I hardly use it for interactive use).  A brief test
here didn't show evidence that this would be a problem
for sh, though.

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey
--
Nobody wants constructive criticism.
It's all we can do to put up with constructive praise.