looking for something like an embedded ftp server

Derrill Guilbert derrill at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 15:57:54 UTC 2007

On 4/11/07, Pieter de Goeje <pieter at degoeje.nl> wrote:

> On Wednesday 11 April 2007, David J Brooks wrote:
> > On Wednesday 11 April 2007 12:26:42 pm Derrill Guilbert wrote:
> > > I've been given an old machine, and asked to turn it into an ftp
> server.
> > > It will got on its own IP, separate from the one our LAN uses. It will
> > > have three read-only users and maybe five read/write users. It will
> > > contain design data that we're transferring to the offices in China.
> That
> > > is, we will upload it from here in at the main office, and the China
> > > staff will download it to implement the little containers we're
> building.
> > >
> > > This does not need to be secure beyond password protection
> necessarily,
> > > though some sort of secure FTP would be fine.
> > >
> > > What I would really prefer is some sort of BSD based simple FTP server
> > > setup. I've found several BSD based router/firewall/whatever servers
> out
> > > there, such as m0n0wall and pfsense, among others, and I would like
> > > something that simple for an FTP server. That is, I want to be able to
> > > install the server and then only have to configure users, no mess with
> > > hardening things and setting up pf or so ...
> > >
> > > Does such a thing exist? Am I needlessly complicating things for
> myself
> > > in another way (often the case, I'm little more than a user when it
> comes
> > > to FreeBSD)?
> > >
> > > Any kind of guidance on this topic would be appreciated --- if what I
> > > want to do can be done with a custom install of FreeBSD, that'd be
> > > wonderful also.
> > >
> > > Thank you in advance for any guidance.
> >

> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-ftp.html
> You can also run ftpd without inetd: adding ftpd_enable="YES" to
> /etc/rc.conf
> should do the trick.

I actually know how to set up a FreeBSD machine with FTP server, but was
hoping there was something simpler - and therefore quicker, and
theoretically more secure out of the box, with essentially nothing else
running? I suppose this may be a silly request. :)

Regardless, thank you for the link and the rc.conf suggestion.

Derrill