Automatic means for spinning down disks available?

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Wed Apr 11 22:31:13 UTC 2007

On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 01:16:26PM -0700, Steve Franks wrote:
> Say, I've been meaning to install ataidle for awhile, as my server handles
> approximately 3-5 requests for cvs per 24 hours, and I'm a pragmatic
> believer in the dangers of global warming, and I've never had a disk go bad
> on my old w2k systems, even though they spun up/down at least 20-50 times a
> day (on my desktop).
>
> It's non-obivous, however, from the docs/man wether ataide makes persistent
> changes, or if you need to run it from cron, rc, etc.  Anyone know the
> 'proper' usage for ataidle?
>
> I found this: http://andreas.syndrom23.de/drupal/files/ataidle which might
> be of general interest to folks along these same lines.  No idea if it's
> correct usage, however.

	Yuri Grebenkin's commments up-queue were well put.  My newest
	2800 AMD runs Ubuntu mostly for things-fun.  Tho it has evolution
	so I can just click-on a mail-embedded URL and have firefox come
	alive very easily.  No mouse swipe and messing with broswer in my
	default mutt.
	(&c.)  Not *quite* like running a server just to have vi or
	another editor handy, but close.  The Ubuntu runs my DVD/CD
	burner too.  ---But it's still what I consider a "toy."

	Every situation is unique, I think.  Are you admin'ing a slew of
	server?  are you running a few to several for a small business?
	Or just running two machines for your own fun and profit?

	Some things to consider (besides powering -down or -off drives)
	are battery backup system.  Don't most UPS systems isolate your
	servers from the wall-socket?   At what level do hard drives have
	identical circuitry so that they can be software lower-voltaged?
	*Except for consumer __cost__*, why don't all boxes have builtin
	batteries like latop?  ...There are lots of things to consider.

	gary

  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix