Automatic means for spinning down disks available?

Steve Franks stevefranks at ieee.org
Wed Apr 11 20:16:29 UTC 2007

Say, I've been meaning to install ataidle for awhile, as my server handles
approximately 3-5 requests for cvs per 24 hours, and I'm a pragmatic
believer in the dangers of global warming, and I've never had a disk go bad
on my old w2k systems, even though they spun up/down at least 20-50 times a
day (on my desktop).

It's non-obivous, however, from the docs/man wether ataide makes persistent
changes, or if you need to run it from cron, rc, etc.  Anyone know the
'proper' usage for ataidle?

I found this: http://andreas.syndrom23.de/drupal/files/ataidle which might
be of general interest to folks along these same lines.  No idea if it's
correct usage, however.

Thanks,
Steve

On 4/9/07, Pieter de Goeje <pieter at degoeje.nl> wrote:

> On Sunday 08 April 2007, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> > Hello again all,
> >       I was wondering if there was an automatic, and possibly timed
> means to
> > spin down disks available in either ports or the base system, by chance.
> >       Just trying to cut down on energy use, and increase my disks'
> lives :).
> > TIA,
> > -Garrett
> Take a look at ataidle (sysutils/ataidle). Dunno if it helps with their
> life
> expectancy, but it certainly is quieter without the disks spinning :).
>
> HTH,
> Pieter de Goeje

Steve Franks, KE7BTE
Staff Engineer