Harddisk problem

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Wed Apr 11 12:47:07 UTC 2007

Taavi Tänavsuu wrote:

> I'm not yet very familiar with harddisks, filesystems, and FreeBSD,
> but is
> there anything else i could try to make the disk usable again, or is it
> somehow physically damaged?

There are two possibilities:

1) The disk is damaged.  From your output that's what I'd think.
Download the Samsung diagnostics for your disk and try them.  If the
disk fails those, then you should be able to get a warranty
replacement.  Before that, you could try installing the "smartmontools"
port and running "smartctl -a /dev/{your disk}".  That will tell you if
the disk itself thinks it is dying.

2) But before you do any of that, try changing the cable that connects
your disk.  It may be as simple as that, but your errors are a bit too
specific for me to believe this is the problem.  After changing the
cable try your fsck again.  But really, this looks like a long shot.

3) Before any of those things, copy your files somewhere else, if you
can.  Dying disks often get worse.  Not quite sure how you'll manage
that given that you don't seem to be able to mount the disk.  Maybe
someone here will have an idea.  Something with dd ought to work, if you
have somewhere to dd to.

--Alex