KVM over IP (Was: Re: adding keyboard after reboot with no keyboard) ...

Jerry Dunham jdunham at texas.net
Wed Apr 11 00:00:37 UTC 2007

On 10 Apr 2007 at 18:24, Tamouh H. wrote:

> We've used StarTech KVM Over IP switches with both windows and BSD
> with no major issues. They're pretty much the most reasonably priced
> ones out there.

I've also had excellent success with fairly inexpensive IOGear MiniView KVMs.
In fact, I'm typing this through one right now.  I've used 2-port, 4-port and 8-
port, and have never had an issue, running both FreeBSD and Windows through
them.  I've used a Cat5 extender (from StarTech, IIRC) with the 8-port version
with no problem.  By contrast, some 2- and 4-port LinkSys KVMs I tried a few
years ago were consistently flakey.

I did try a StarTech KVM once, and it had some problems that retired it to the
spare equipment cabinet.  It was not the model Tamouh had success with, but a
wired model that was set up to handle both PS/2 and USB keyboards and mice.
(Most seem to be one or the other.)  It seemed like a good idea at the time.

--
Jerry Dunham
Volunteer, Etosha Rescue & Adoption Center
jdunham at texas.net