Advice on how to memorize images

Vittorio vdemart1 at tin.it
Tue Apr 10 12:27:28 UTC 2007

I'm now moving my first steps in trying to memorize my many digital
photos (for the time being some 700 pictures but rapifdly growing,
average size among 800-900kb)  in a "centralised system" easy to deal
with. I'm now  successfully (but still in an experimental level) using
a postgresql 8.0.2 db with its wonderful lo_creat, lo_export, etc
functions.
Unfortunately I've read in the internet many criticism on
the use of mysql or pgsql db to memorize images, that this is not an
efficient way to do the job (no alternatives seem to be proposed
anyway!) because the db easily becomes cumbersome  (isn't that the
"core business" of a great db such as mysql or pgsql?).

Could someone
out there tell an almost definite word on this subject with some
suggestions (other applications?) based on real experience?

Ciao
Vittorio