locking down scsi device id's in 6.2

Robert Marella rmarella at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 17:27:23 UTC 2007

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 21:16:50 -0400
"Dave" <dmehler26 at woh.rr.com> wrote:

(Format recovered: Please do not top post)

> > On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 19:15:27 -0400
> > "Dave" <dmehler26 at woh.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >> I've got a situation where three devices, one a scsi tape drive and
> >> the other two ide burners under scsi emulation with atapicam are
> >> fighting for scsi id's and i'd like to lock them down to specific
> >> id's. When the tape drive isn't plugged in the burners get 000 and
> >> 010 scsi ids, but when the tape goes in it takes 050 and the
> >> burners are on bus2 200 and 210 respectively. I hope this makes
> >> sense. I've been over loader and device.hints as well and i'm
> >> lost. I'd appreciate any info on this. Thanks.
> >> Dave.
> >>

> > Hello Dave
> >
> > Have you looked at man scsi (4) for the correct way to
> > edit /boot/device.hints to wire down devices?
> >

> > HTH
> >
> > Robert
>
> Hello,
>     Yes i have. I am confused as to bus, target, and the values i'm
> suppose to use.
> Dave.

Dave,

Not only is top posting frowned upon on the FreeBSD lists you also
removed -questions from your reply. I didn't even check my email
over the weekend. Had you kept -questions in the loop you might have
received an answer a lot sooner. Also, since I am wrong about as often
as I am right you would probably received a better answer.

That said, I will try to help.

IMHO the easiest way to find the values is to boot with your SCSI tape
drive connected. When you are up you can run "camcontrol devlist"
without the quotes. This will show you the values. Example:

<SONY DVD RW DW-Q120A PYS1>        at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (cd1,pass1)
<SONY DVD-ROM DDU1612 DYS1>        at scbus1 target 1 lun 0 (cd0,pass0)

You should use dmesg to find the controller for the SCSI. It will be
something like AHC0. you can then use all of these values in
"/boot/device.hints" as shown in man scsi.

I hope this helps.

Remember to keep the list in the email. The archives will then have the
final solution for the next person who needs it or when I forget :-)

Robert