Package management question

Andrew Pantyukhin infofarmer at FreeBSD.org
Sun Apr 8 07:37:05 UTC 2007

On 4/8/07, Chris Kottaridis <chriskot at quietwind.net> wrote:
> I need a little advise on FreeBSD package management, I am kind of new
> to the FreeBSD package management thing and so I am sure this is a very
> basic question.
>
> I just installed 6.2 and apparently it installed the mysql-client 5.0
> package. I want to get mysql up to 5.1 from the /usr/ports directory,
> figuring the most recent version in the ports directory is better. So, I
> built the mysql51 port and when it came time to do "make install" it
> complained that mysql 5.0 was already in place and I should delete it
> first:
>
> ># make install
> >===>  Installing for mysql-client-5.1.11
> >
> >===>  mysql-client-5.1.11 conflicts with installed package(s):
> >      mysql-client-5.0.27
> >
> >      They install files into the same place.
> >      Please remove them first with pkg_delete(1).
> >*** Error code 1
> >
> >Stop in /usr/ports/databases/mysql51-client.
> >

> Fair enough, but when I look at the pkg_info for 5.0.27:
>
> >$ pkg_info mysql-client-5.0.27
> >Information for mysql-client-5.0.27:
> >
> >Comment:
> >Multithreaded SQL database (client)
> >

> >Required by:
> >koffice-1.5.2,2
> >kde-3.5.4

> >MySQL is a very fast, multi-threaded, multi-user and robust SQL
> >(Structured Query Language) database server.
> >
> >WWW: http://www.mysql.com/
> >
> >- Alex Dupre
> >ale at FreeBSD.org
>

> And indeed pkg_delete doesn't allow me to delete the package due to the
> dependencies:
>
> ># pkg_delete mysql-client-5.0.27
> >pkg_delete: package 'mysql-client-5.0.27' is required by these other
> >packages
> >and may not be deinstalled:
> >koffice-1.5.2,2
> >kde-3.5.4
>
> So, is the right answer to use pkg_delete -f and force the delete and
> then install mysql 5.1 and hope that koffice and kde are OK with the
> change ?
>
> That seems a bit brutal, but I can't seem to find any kind of a
> pkg_update option.
>
> I really just want to get a mysql server on the machine, but the
> mysql51-server port complained there weas no mysql-51-client. I assume I
> can install the mysql50-server, but I might as well go with the latest
> and greatest if I can.

mysql 5.1 is not ready for mainstream, AFAIK.

You can install ports-mgmt/portupgrade and then use
"portupgrade -o databases/somenewport someoldport"
to upgrade an installed port to another one.

pkg_delete -f oldport && cd newport && make install

works fine, but you loose all the dependencies (kde
won't depend on the newport).