Fontconfig question... .

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Sun Apr 8 00:27:29 UTC 2007

On Sat, Apr 07, 2007 at 05:48:48PM +0000, Christian Walther wrote:
> On 06/04/07, Gary Kline <kline at tao.thought.org> wrote:
> >        When I fire up mozilla, firefox, OO-2.1.0, and whatever else,
> >        I'll see this to stdout:
> >

> >          pe 16:37 <tao> [5433] mozilla
> >          Fontconfig warning: no <cachedir> elements found. Check
> >          configuration.
> >          Fontconfig warning: adding
> >          <cachedir>/var/db/fontconfig</cachedir>
> >          Fontconfig warning: adding <cachedir>~/.fontconfig</cachedir>
> >
> >        I've got a seriously old, severely cheep CD with 1500 fonts, plus
> >        hundreds more I've gleaned that are free.  I've clicked around on
> >        firefox and mozilla but have no idea how to find, much less:
> >        "Check configuration."
> >
> >        I've read  the html in /usr/X11R6/share/doc/fonconfig, but don't
> >        see any {/usr/local}/etc/fonts directory.  [???]
>
> You might be in need to issue a "fc-cache" command.
> The command builds cache files that are read by fontconfig. Maybe they
> are missing from your system.
> I had such an issue a long time ago, so I might be wrong here. But
> fc-cache just needs a few seconds to execute so it won't hurt. And it
> won't break anything. ;-)
>

> >        Can anybody clue me in?
> >
> >        gary
>
> HTH

	Can't tell yet!  Doing an ls -ltR in /usr/X11R6/etc/fonts shows
	that the files were touched in late March.  Doing

	# fc-cache

	yields:

	root at tao:/usr/X11R6/etc/fonts# !501
	fc-cache
	Fontconfig warning: no <cachedir> elements found. Check configuration.
	Fontconfig warning: adding <cachedir>/var/db/fontconfig</cachedir>
	Fontconfig warning: adding <cachedir>~/.fontconfig</cachedir>

	So I'll check the config file.  Do you know if I can add my
	collection of free fonts? and if so, how?  (It's been ten years
	since I messed with the font stuff!)  FWIW, yesterday I used my
	OO wizard from 2.1 to install a bunch of fonts.  It's really not
	``critical-path'' to get this working, but it'd be K00L ...

	gary

--
  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix