the art of pkgdb -F

Michael P. Soulier msoulier at digitaltorque.ca
Sat Apr 7 13:26:58 UTC 2007

On 28/03/07 Robert Huff said:

> >  But I bet I'm not the only one who, once upon a time, happened to
> >  try "portupgrade -arR" or equivalent after forgetting to read
> >  UPDATING and ended up with more to do than I originally thought.
>
> 	Might as well paint "PLEASE KICK ME!" and an arrow pointing
> down on your back ....

I'm used to binary-package distributions that seem to try a lot harder to not
break. I suppose that ports is evolving, and it used to be worse, so I
shouldn't complain. Still, if the handbook says to use portupgrade -R to
upgrade a port, that's what BSD newbies like me are going to use.

I'm just glad that portupgrade has a -n switch.

Mike
direction." --Albert Einstein