send email with mail command

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Sat Apr 7 00:17:17 UTC 2007

Olivier Regnier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I tested the mail command in console and my question is, it is possible
> to indicate the MAIL FROM: me at domain.net ?
>
> Thank you :)

Not sure about mail(1); manpage says environment variable REPLYTO
is honored; you might try to modify the headers to add the "-f me at mine.com"
switch.

That said, I have EMAIL defined here because mutt's manpage says it can
be used for exactly what you are asking about, and plain mail(1) seems
to honor that in a local test.  You might give it a try; either define
it in your shell resource scripts or your ~/.mailrc.

BTW, if you're wanting to use mail from console, I'd recommend mutt
over mail(1) any day of the week, unless you have some mitigating
circumstance....

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey
--
One difference between a man and a machine
is that a machine is quiet when well oiled.