Should sudo be used?

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Fri Apr 6 21:59:03 UTC 2007

Jerry McAllister wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 11:28:34AM -0500, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 5 Apr 2007, Kevin Kinsey wrote:
>>
>>> I thought I might also mention a potential "sudo"-shortcoming. :-D
>>>
>>> See:
>>> http://bsdwiki.reedmedia.net/wiki/Recognize_basic_recommended_access_methods.html
>>>
>>> Where I wrote about a "quoting problem" that occasionally confuses
>>> newbs like me.
>
> Finally got around to reading the wiki page.   It is good.
> I noticed one grammatical thing of question.   In the first paragraph
> under "Use ssh instead of Telnet or rsh/rlogin"  it says
>
>    "they should never be used to administrate a machine over a network,"
>
> I think the word should be 'administer'  instead of 'administrate'
> unless this is some sort of British thing.     I know, picky picky, but
> it just stood out to me as I was reading.

I'll look into that.  I churned out a lot of text, so if that's all
you saw, Jeremy must have had his lucky shirt on. ;-)

Also, ;-)  nothing would prevent you from signing up and making such
a change yourself.  I'm sure the book could benefit from your wisdom.

> Also, although telnet is a hole nowdays for logging in to a system with
> an id and password for the very reasons you have given,  it still has
> a use.   You can use it to easily poke at a port and check the response
> to see if something is up and working.   Of course, in that case you
> would probably not be sending an id and password, just some common
> handshaking strings that don't reveal any secrets to anyone.
> This is really a different issue from what was the OP or the intent
> of the wiki article, of course.

Right; the intent, as I see it, is to pound through people's (potential
new *BSD system admins) heads the fact that you don't use telnet for
remote logins/remote shell work.

KDK
--
Rocky's Lemma of Innovation Prevention
	Unless the results are known in advance,