lpd refuses to print from a machine with a DHCP assigned IP address...

Amarendra Godbole amarendra.godbole at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 06:16:12 UTC 2007

Hi,

My FreeBSD box picks up its IP through DHCP. Now I configured a
printer on this machine, using apsfilter. So far so good. Now when I
try to print anything, I see the following error in the lpd-errs file:
------------
Apr  6 11:00:03 zimbu lpd[1501]: unable to get official name for local
machine zimbu.vxindia.veritas.com: hostname nor servname provided, or
not known
Apr  6 11:00:03 zimbu lpd[1501]: lp: no line printer device or host name
------------

Now, if I add an entry for zimbu in /etc/hosts (with the currently
assigned IP address), printing works fine. My printcap is:

------------
# APS1_BEGIN:printer1
# - don't delete start label for apsfilter printer1
# - no other printer defines between BEGIN and END LABEL
lp|sym6fp1|PSgs;r=300x300;q=medium;c=full;p=a4;m=raw:\
    :lp=:\
    :rm=sym6fp1.vxindia.veritas.com:\
    :rp=sym6fp1:\
    :if=/usr/local/etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/sym6fp1:\
    :lf=/var/spool/lpd/sym6fp1/log:\
    :af=/var/spool/lpd/sym6fp1/acct:\
    :mx#0:\
    :sh:
# APS1_END - don't delete this

sym6fp1.vxindia.veritas.com is the printer host (actually the printer
itself, not an host really).

Hence, my question is: Is there some tweak either in printcap, or
somewhere else that will tell lpd that my IP address is DHCP assigned?
Or how do I get printing enabled, without adding such an entry in
/etc/hosts.conf? Any help to fix this issue will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Best,
Amarendra