Should sudo be used?

Bob Hall rjhjr at cox.net
Fri Apr 6 00:26:12 UTC 2007

On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 10:42:27AM +0200, Victor Engmark wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I thought it would be a good idea to use sudo on my FreeBSD laptop, but I'm
> having doubts after checking the handbook (it's not mentioned at all) and
> Google (most of the articles were obscure and / or old).
>
> Are you using sudo? If not, why?

I administer a tiny LAN. Usually, I'm the only one fooling with the
servers (IMAP, file sharing for classic Mac & Windows, routing, Internet
access, other lesser things). However, it's nice to go on vacation
occasionally. I have a small number of accounts, each of which uses sudo
to give the account the rights necessary to administer one part of the
overall system. I can pass off the mail duties to someone else, and know
that the worst damage they can do is limited to the mail system, and
restricted by the rights granted via sudo.

As long as the firewall and other security measures are in place, my
biggest concern is clumsy fingers. Sudo limits the harm that can occur
and backups ensure recovery.

Bob Hall