Linux emluation of Skype not complete.

Paris Jones arckeda at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 5 04:13:03 UTC 2007

Garrett Cooper <youshi10 at u.washington.edu> wrote: Paris Jones wrote:
> I am using FreeBSD 6.0 Stable.
>
> My friend told me about Skype and was very egar to try it, to my dismay the port of Skype will only accept one device for audio input and output, (Which my headset requires) and I would rather not mess with the DSP hijacker so I installed the linux build for skype.com (The static with QT compiled in) but was also upset to find that I could not call or receive calls from anyone.  I am using the linux_base-8, if someone could tell me how I can start calling people it would be very useful, I have read maybe 2 articles about this on google and both tell me to install ports that no longer exist.
>
>  Thank you again.
>                                                                                                                                                                     -ARCKEDA

That's because OSS by itself doesn't support more than one channel at a
time. You need to support virtual channels (a FreeBSD only feature
AFAIK) by entering in the following lines in /etc/sysctl.conf:

hw.snd.maxautovchans = 20 # Adjust to fit the number of simultaneous
sound channels you want enabled at once.

-Garrett
I don't think that is the solution, I am sorry that I didn't make myself clear before,

in the port of Skype I can only choose one device for talking, my headset receives

input from /dev/dsp1 and sends to /dev/dsp, so I can only hear or listen, not both

at the same time.  In the linux build, I can not even call people, not even the Skype

testing service.

If you think of anything that could help, please tell me.
                   -ARCKEDA