UTF-8 in console

Thomas Dickey dickey at radix.net
Thu Apr 5 00:21:53 UTC 2007

On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 12:02:12AM +0200, Nejc ©koberne wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am have many FreeBSD 5.x and 6.x servers installed and I have this in my
> /etc/profile:
>
> LANG=sl_SI.UTF-8; export LANG
> MM_CHARSET=UTF-8; export MM_CHARSET
>
> because I am using UTF-8 encoding with PuTTY. It works with most
> applications
> but not with "dialog". For example, I get this when using UTF-8:

dialog is probably built/linked with the normal "libncurses" rather than
"libncursesw" (and corresponding configure option to use the
wide-character features).  That's one part of the problem.

Another is that PuTTY does not honor VT100-style line-drawing when it's
doing UTF-8.  You can tell ncurses that's the case by setting the
NCURSES_NO_UTF8_ACS environment variable (added 20050312).  Then it'll
use +'s and -'s, etc., to do ASCII line-drawing.  To get nice
line-drawing in PuTTY in UTF-8, you have to use the wide-character
libncursesw.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net