newbie amd64 force 32bit nvidia-driver port

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Wed Apr 4 15:53:06 UTC 2007

B. Cook wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying out amd64 on this Dell M90, and it seems to be going great..
>
> *except* the nvidia-drivers port won't compile on amd64.. so I took
> out the i386 entry in the Makefile and it gets to a part where its
> linking and gets this:
>
> ===>  Building for nvidia-driver-1.0.9746
> ===> src (all)
> ld  -d -warn-common -r -d -o nvidia.ko nv-kernel.o nvidia_ctl.o
> nvidia_dev.o nvidia_linux.o nvidia_os.o nvidia_os_pci.o
> nvidia_os_registry.o nvidia_pci.o nvidia_subr.o nvidia_sysctl.o
> nvidia_i2c.o
> ld: Relocatable linking with relocations from format
> elf32-i386-freebsd (nv-kernel.o) to format elf64-x86-64 (nvidia.ko) is
> not supported
> *** Error code 1
>

> so how do I get the nvidia driver to work on this shiny new M90.. If I
> can't get this to work.. the person I got the laptop from will be
> putting rhel 5 on it.. :(
>
> I was thinking that I could force compile it for 32bit..

I believe what you are trying to do is impossible.  The nvidia driver
does not work on amd64 arch of FreeBSD.  There are many threads on the
topic which google will find for you.

The question really is, why are you installing the 64-bit version of
FreeBSD?  If this is a "desktop" laptop with less that 4Gb of RAM which
isn't going to run some huge database, then by all accounts the gain
from running amd64 rather than i386 is minimal.  In addition to nvidia,
I believe java won't work either (or didn't last time I checked).

i386 works just fine on 64-bit athlons.  This message is typed from one
(not a laptop and thankfully not a Dell :-)).

You could try the nv driver from xorg, which, if it works (and it didn't
for me) will provide enough functionality to run X.

--Alex