Cannot pkg_add linux-flashplugin7

Amarendra Godbole amarendra.godbole at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 04:56:12 UTC 2007

On 3/31/07, Joseph Marah <marahkeh at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have tried to a couple of times to install a Micromedia-alike flash plugin for
> FreeBSD but failed.  So far I have
> successfully installed the linux-pluginwrapper as a requirement at
> /usr/ports/www/linuxpluginwrapper. So I tried /usr/ports/www/linux-flashplugin7 and
> issued the command pkg-add -r linux-flashplugin7. The system attempted to
> download the file from ftp site but came back saying the file linux-flashplugin7 did
> not exist.  Any idea what I may be doing wrong?
[...]

You are confusing between the "ports" system, and the pre-compiled
"packages" available on FreeBSD. In a nutshell, ports allow you to
download, build and install applications from source, while packages
are pre-compiled binaries for your particular platform.

To add it through ports, you need to do (as root):
# cd /usr/ports/www/linux-flashplugin7
# make install clean

Reading the relevant section (6.2.4) of the handbook
(http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/desktop-browsers.html)
will help.

Best,
Amarendra