adding a host how-to

Kimi Ostro kimimeister at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 17:22:46 UTC 2007

On 02/04/07, Ilya Vishnyakov <ilya at edpausa.com> wrote:

> Hello Freebsd Gurus!
> I set up the test server with Windows 2003 to play. Now I'm trying to
> add a hostname to our existing domain: newhostname.domain.com The
> server runs FreeBSD 6.2 with pf firewall.
> I added ip address and hostname to /etc/hosts Is there anything else
> that needs to be done besides that? Did anyone see a good how-to?

If you not using DNS server on you network, you need to edit the host
file on both systems on FreeBSD as you know has this in /etc and on
Windows it is %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc - just remember to
keep them in sync, Both Windows and FreeBSD can use the same hosts
file.

Longterm solution, setup a DNS server.

HTH :)

--