UPGRADing from 5.4- Sysinstall or makeworld

Jean-Paul Natola jnatola at familycareintl.org
Mon Apr 2 14:44:07 UTC 2007

Hi everyone,

I'm think I really need to upgrade  from 5.4  as I'm having a slew of issues
with my programs- specifically  exim-sa-clamav-

My concern is that this was the only BSD install I had ever done with
assistance from a colleague from across the border- So all I have been doing
for the past year is cvsup-ing and portupgrading- however as mentioned
earlier I'm running into issues that are consuming too much time for me to
resolve as I am a one man IT department here.

The first thing I'd like to know is if my box can indeed handle the upgrade
to 6.2  -

I have the following hardware-

PIII 500mhz
256 ram
8 gig hard-drive

The ONLY thing I use this box for is to filter mail that then gets passed to
my exchange server-

Are there any gotcha's I need to lookout for before attempting this upgrade,
since this filters my e-mail if I screw up- I will have no incoming mail-
lest I choose to redirect my SMTP directly to my mail server- NOT A GOOD
IDEA.

So I see there are two methods of upgrading - sysinstall  or makeworld- what
would be the optimal choice for someone with limited  experience in the BSD
world-

Thanks

Jean-Paul Natola
Network Administrator