Filesystem that both FreeBSD and OS X can read/write

bram bram at diomedia.be
Mon Apr 2 07:22:03 UTC 2007

mal content schreef:
> Hello.
>
> I have a small USB hard disk enclosure and would like to start
> using it to transfer files between OS X and FreeBSD machines.
>
> Is there a filesystem that both OS X and FreeBSD can reliably
> read and write to? I've heard that OS X supports UFS, but there's
> no clear definition on what UFS actually is. I mean Free/Open/Net/
> DragonFly all seem to have slightly differing definitions...
>
> Any ideas?
> MC
I have done this frequently.
In my experience the only way is FAT32, for large drives you need to
compile the freebsd kernel with the MSDOSFS_LARGE option.
You should be able to read/write the drive in OSX 10.3 and upwards, I do
not think it works with 10.2 and 10.1
Formatting the drive is easy in OSX so I would do it there
I beleive the reason for UFS not being compatible is an endian (big vs
small) issue, maybe solved now with the new intel macs.
I have not tried it with usb, but it worked with firewire.

If both machines are connected through a network you may also want to
take a look at netatalk

kind regards bram