Installing to a custom location with buildworld/DESTDIR

Chris phatfish at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 16:08:42 PDT 2006

Hi,

I have an encrypted disk setup where i want to install a fresh system using
buildworld/buildkernel on my current install. I looked around and it seems
that the bellow commands should do what i want. But I'm not sure if it is
the best way to do it, or if the procedure is out of date (I'm running 6.1).

cd /usr/src
setenv DESTDIR /mnt/root
make buildworld && make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
cd /usr/src/etc; make distribution

I get the feeling you may have to do something a little different to a
normal buildworld procedure when installing to another location. But i
couldn't seem to find much information on it, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks