how to add flags to ifconfig at boot

Bill Schoolcraft bill at wiliweld.com
Thu Sep 21 07:24:23 PDT 2006

--- David Kelly <dkelly at hiwaay.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 12:38:30PM -0400, Robert Huff wrote:
> >
> > David Kelly writes:
> >
> > >  Or if one needs to ifconfig earlier in the startup process then
> put
> > >  one's script in /etc/start_if.em0
> >
> > 	It is my understanding (and experience) this only works when
> >
> > 	ifconfig_em0=""
> >
> > 	in /etc/rc.conf.
>
> True only if your options for ifconfig in rc.conf would clear or
> override whatever it is you put in /etc/start_if_em0. As long as its
> something that can be done with multiple ifconfigs then all is fine.
>
> For example this works fine in /etc/start_if.xl0:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> ifconfig xl0 lladdr 00:01:23:45:67:89
>
> with this in rc.conf:
> ifconfig_xl0="DHCP"
>
> --
> David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net

Thank you very much for the above info David, I've always been
challenged with my (encrypted) wireless card though, and usually have
my own manual script that I run.  Always wanted to have it start
"automagically" when/if it is the card I'm using.

(question)

Besides the single line you have in /etc/rc.conf above to instruct DHCP
to be used, can one place all the following somehow in rc.conf or will
I have to get this going in a script location?

Currently I give my card a static ip but would like to have it grab
it's ipaddr by DHCP, here is the majority of the script, omitted are my
ping tests of the gateway at the end.

TIA

#!/bin/sh
ifconfig wi0 ssid nwname
ifconfig wi0 wepmode on
ifconfig wi0 192.168.1.222 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask
255.255.255.0
ifconfig wi0 up
wicontrol wi0 wepkey 0x1465466964
route add default 192.168.1.1