Sendmail on FBSD server wont connect to remote user.

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Tue Sep 19 09:37:09 PDT 2006

You don't need anything beyond a regular account.  If you can login to the
box, you can get mail from it.

The error looks like you don't have the right auth method setup in
sendmail.  So the password is coming in looking "garbled".  Check with the
client software you are using for the way the passwords are sent.

You can also bump up the logging so you can see more details in the log
file. You can add something like:
-O LogLevel=80
to your sendmail flags in /etc/rc.conf.

         -Derek

At 03:57 PM 9/17/2006, admin at hdk5.com wrote:
>Aloha Questions list,
>
>I have been trying to setup Sendmail on a server box.
>FreeBSD 6.1 HP Pentium II 300 CPU 686
>
>After many attempts I am down to this one error.
>
>Error:
>Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server mahalo.internetohana.org
>responded:
>Password supplied for admin at internetohana.org is incorrect.
>

>I have 2 user accounts for test on this swever. I can ping and telnet into
>ports 25 and 110 and I get the proper responses from these users.
>
>The 2 user accounts are rejected as per the error when I try to connect
>from a mail agent (Mozilla or Thunderbird) from another box on a different
>inet. (Also FreeBSD 4.11 running for several years.)
>

>The server is setup with send mail SMTP and qpopper for Pop3. There is
>nothing else on this box.
>
>Do I have to create a password file other than the FreeBSD  /etc/passwd
>and /etc/master.passwd
>to get this to work.
>
>My previous attempts with Postfix and Dovecot did not get this far.
>
>Thanks for any help.
>
>Al Plant - Honolulu, Hawaii
>
>- Admin -- http://hawaiidakine.com -- http://hdk5.com -- --
>http://internetohana.org -- http://freeBSDinfo.org --
>+ Supporting open source computing - FreeBSD 6.* +

>--
>believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.