Freebsd, Suse Linux dual booting

Dan Bikle dan.bikle at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 02:09:44 PDT 2006

Well,

I rolled the dice and tried grub.
Moral: grub is good.

Details:

I decided to re-install Suse 10.1 so I could interact with the mechanism
which installs Grub.

Then...
I found this in /boot/grub/menu.lst

suse:/boot/grub # cat menu.lst
# Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Sun Sep 17 05:08:44 UTC 2006

color white/blue black/light-gray
default 0
timeout 8

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title SUSE Linux 10.1
    root (hd0,5)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda6    apm=off acpi=off mce=off
barrier=off ide=nodma idewait=50 i8042.nomux psmouse.proto=bare irqpoll
pci=nommconf resume=/dev/sda5  splash=silent showopts
    initrd /boot/initrd

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows 1###
title windows 1
    chainloader (hd0,0)+1

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows 2###
title windows 2
    chainloader (hd0,1)+1

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
title Failsafe -- SUSE Linux 10.1
    root (hd0,5)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda6 showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off
noresume nosmp noapic maxcpus=0 edd=off 3
    initrd /boot/initrd

It looks like Suse thinks the disk is named hd0 rather than hd8.

So, I added this entry:

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: FreeBSD
5.5###
title FreeBSD 5.5
  root (hd0,2,a)
  kernel /boot/loader

This is a direct pattern off of the discussion here:
http://www.lemis.com/grog/diary-apr2006.html#21
And the grub file in front of my face.

Then I rebooted and saw a nice Grub menu with FreeBSD 5.5
listed on the bottom.

I picked it.

It sent me to the Beastie boot menu I'm so familiar with.

And I used that to boot my FreeBSD box.

I'm jazzed.

I wish golf were this easy.

Thanks gentlemen.