The fan is always on, even when the desktop is rather cool

Wei Hu feelingwei at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 01:05:50 PDT 2006

Thanks David, I checked this page. now if I do:
$ sysctl hw.acpi
hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state: S1 S3 S4 S5
hw.acpi.power_button_state: S5
hw.acpi.sleep_button_state: S1
hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: NONE
hw.acpi.standby_state: S1
hw.acpi.suspend_state: S3
hw.acpi.sleep_delay: 1
hw.acpi.s4bios: 0
hw.acpi.verbose: 0
hw.acpi.reset_video: 1
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_supported: C1/0
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest: C1
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_usage: 100.00%

and if i do
#sudo acpiconf -s 5 OR #sudo acpiconf -s 1
nothing happens.

Can I reinstall acpi, if yes, how can i do it? thanks.