BSDStats project, interesting returns from OpenBSD

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Thu Sep 14 12:17:05 PDT 2006

On Thursday 14 September 2006 13:29, Andy Greenwood wrote:

> What about making it a sysinstall option? Not in the base install, but
> the option is presented when setting up a new box.
>
> On 9/14/06, Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > I was just wondering if there is any consensus on adding BSDStats to
> > > the base system? If would appear to be a logical step to take so as
> > > to insure that all users of FBSD would be counted. An end user could
> > > always disable the sending of data by disabling it in the
> > > /etc/rc.file. I feel that unless it is part of the base system and
> > > turned on by default, too many users will never take part in the
> > > reporting process.
> >
> > I highly doubt that it would be enabled by default in FreeBSD, since
> > many of our users (or their employers) would consider it a privacy
> > breach to have their systems reporting back automatically.

That is sort of what I meant. Have it installed as part of the base system
in much the same manner as portsnap is. The required entry would be placed
in the /etc/rc.conf file but commented out or set to 'NO', which ever
method is felt to be better. Perhaps the initial MOTD might reference it
and point to where more info regarding it might be found.

Just a suggestion and please don't top post. It makes it hard to follow a
thread.

--
Gerard