Hell Installing OpenLDAP/Berkeley-DB/Java

Ted Johnson whatawonderfulworldweliveintoo at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 8 05:04:50 PDT 2006

Hi;
I tried to install OpenLDAP, but it needs Berkeley-DB and complained that the version installed was incompatible. I tried compiling it without Berkeley (using GNU instead) but it wouldn't. I tried installing  Berkeley DB without Java (for simplicity's sake), but that didn't work. I tried moving that installation to where the ports would be but still no go. So I tried a make of the berkeley-db port but that complained it needed a Java plug-in that had to be loaded manually because of
licensing restrictions. So I went to the page it stated, agreed to the license, downloaded it and tried to install:
http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/cgi-bin/download?download=diablo-caffe-freebsd6-i386-1.5.0_07-b00.tar.bz2
I un-bzip2'd it, then untarred it, then entered it and unzipped the sun.zip file, and now I'm lost. There are no instructions! There's a README.html file which told me to go to this page:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/install.html
but there's nothing of substance there. It only tells one how to install Linux binaries or RPMs, but I'm having to install from source. Good grief! Has anyone been through this crap before? What do I do?
TIA,
beno2