rpc.lockd stalls

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Sep 7 10:44:22 PDT 2006

On Sep 7, 2006, at 10:34 AM, Tom Ierna wrote:
> For the purposes of ease of software and hardware management, I'm
> attempting to run a set of PXE-booted Client machines as web/db or
> mail servers.

It is perhaps reasonable to run a diskless webserver, especially if
it is serving mainly dynamically generated content.

Trying to run a database server or mail server without a disk strikes
me as a very bad idea.  I am surprised that rpc.lockd is holding up
well enough to only go down about once a month; simply running the
locking tests which come with sendmail used to be enough to cause
rpc.lockd to crash...

Best of luck,
--
-Chuck